Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 20:38:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <question@closedsrc.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.6-PRE and 4.6-RC2 issues with mod_php4?

[Sorry for cross-posting, but this issue is become of a problem for me]

I was running a server with 4.6-PRE and had a working installation of
Apache 1.3.24 and mod_php4-4.1.2. I wanted to upgrade to PHP 4.2.1 to
fix some bugs in the older version, so I cvsup'd the Ports collection,
and built mod_php4 with the following options: zlib, IMAP, XML, XLST,
gettext, iconv and the multibyte options.

After the build/install succeeded, I made minor modifications to
the httpd.conf file and ran 'apachectl configtest' to see if
everything was okay or not... well, it seems that the
build/installation did have some problems. Below is the error message
that I get when I try to start Apache or when I run "apachectl
configtest":

Syntax error on line 56 of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp4.so into server:
/usr/local/libexec/apache/libphp4.so: Undefined symbol
"pthread_mutex_lock"

I decided to look at the config.log file that was left in the port's
work directory and found some errors regarding pthread. So... I decided
to install the pth port, started the script that it installed into
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, and re-ran the configtest and got the same error.

So... I decided to cvsup the latest stable code, did a make world,
rebuilt the kernel, installed world and took care of some stuff with
mergemaster. After rebooting, when the server ran the apache.sh startup
script, it errors out again. So I deleted the port, cvsup's the Ports
collection again, built and installed mod_php4... but got the same
results. I then tar'd the mod_php4-4.1.2 port from one of other servers
(which was running 4.3-RELEASE), built and installed the older port, ran
configtest, same error. You can access the config.log file (gzip'd) at
http://closedsrc.org/~question/config.log.gz

Is there a problem with the port or is there a problem with pthread.h in
-STABLE? I would really like to get PHP4 back up and running again so
that I can get my web apps running again. Let me know if there is
anything else that I need to provide (more log files, the port Makefile,
etc.)

Thanks

--

Linh Pham                                       question@closedsrc.org