Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 19:48:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        tara@exit1.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cronjob help

tara@exit1.com writes:
> I have read the documentation on setting up a cron job to run every
> other Wednesday - I did exactly what the documentation stated - here is
> my entry in /etc/crontab:
>
> #Capitolworks script
> 30      12      *       *       mon/2   root
> /usr/home/politemps/capitolworks/newsletter.pl
> However - the script runs every monday - does anyone know what is
> wrong...I sure don't get it.

mon??? That's going to make it run on Mondays. "wed" to get it to run
on Wednesdays.

The "/<number>" is used with ranges (and "*", which is a range) to get
it to skip elements of the range. You could use "*/2" to mean "every
Sunday,Tuesday,Thursday,Saturday" - at least that's what I'd expect.

Every other wednesday is a particularly painful one to catch. Twice a
month would be easy (30 12 1,15 * * ...).  To get what you want, I'd
suggest having your script touch a file indicating that it finished
properly after it does so (assuming you don't already), and when it
starts making sure the file is at least 10 days old - or doesn't
exist. Then run the script every Wednesday (30 12 * * wed...)  and let
it not do anything every other one.

As a final note, you might want to investigate the "crontab" command,
which lets individual users run scripts - including root - instead of
tweaking /etc/crontab. That way you can upgrade /etc/crontab with the
system without having to worry about your own things. You can also
look into making someone other than root run this script.

	<mike