Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 16:59:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        "David W. Curry" <david@magickalhome.com>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting with more Xterms

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Ludwig Pummer wrote:

> At 12:05 PM 8/9/98 +0000, David W. Curry wrote:
> >I want to start xWindows with more that the 3 xterms that is default.  I
> >am not sure how to make it use more psuedo terminals.  Can anyone
> >enlighten me?

I guess you meant virtual terminals and not xterms, which are quite
different things... In /etc/ttys, you can set more virtual consoles by
addings lines like:

ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
ttyv2	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
ttyv<x> ...

The generic kernel allows by default up to 16 virtual consoles.

Any correction is welcome, because I think I am missing the point here
(maybe) :)

Spidey

> >Thanks
> >
> >Dave
>
> What X runs at startup is set in your .xinitrc. If you don't have one in
> your home directory, it's at X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc, so copy it out of
> there and modify your local copy.
> --Ludwig Pummer
> ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
> ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org

Spidey

How 'bout a little ride through your own world?
http://www.JSP.UMontreal.CA/~beaupran/