Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 2010 22:44:39 +0100
From:      Anselm Strauss <amsibamsi@gmail.com>
To:        krad <kraduk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting from ZFS raidz

On Jan 6, 2010, at 21:37 , krad wrote:

> 2010/1/6 Anselm Strauss <amsibamsi@gmail.com>
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm experimenting with a ZFS only system and booting from it in =
VirtualBox. Thanks to various mails and forum posts from the net I have =
a working scenario with booting from a ZFS mirror. However, I can't get =
the thing to work with raidz with the exactly same setup, except that =
the pool is now raidz instead of mirror and there is one more disk. I =
feel sure I have all the stuff with partitioning, boot loader =
installation, etc. right. I tested this with version 8.0-RELEASE on =
64bit.
>=20
> Now, before I go into detailed explaining, is raidz really supported? =
I always get the following error after it says "FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap =
loader, Revision 1.1":
>=20
> ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
> ZFS: can't read MOS object directory
> (repeats a lot)
> Can't find root filesystem - giving up
> can't load 'kernel'
>=20
> I think the "MOS" message comes from zfs_mount_root() in =
/usr/src/sys/boot/zfs/zfsimpl.c. I asume that is the point when =
/boot/loader has been loaded and now wants to load the kernel into =
memory. After that error I'm in the loader prompt. When I try to load =
any file I always get the same error as above.
>=20
> Anyone any ideas?
>=20
> Thanks,
> Anselm_______________________________________________
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to =
>=20
> Opensolaris doesnt support booting off raidz yet so id be surprised if =
you managed to, as i doubt all the relevent code is in the loader, and =
robust enough yet. I have seen a few hacks mentioned in places that =
might get it to work, bit these are unsupported and might flake out at =
any time.
>=20
> Also why do you need a raidz for the os? It implys you might be mixing =
data on the pool as well. This isnt best practice, and you are best off =
having a separate pool for os and data. If you have 3+ drives, gpt it =
into 3 or 4 chunks dependent on whether you want swap on a zvol. Have =
and x way mirror for the os and then the last and biggest gpt slice use =
for your raidz data. Better still have the os and data on separate =
spindles

I was just out for maximum flexibility and easiness. Having just one =
pool gives you the most possibilities in resizing data sets. Using =
partitions always imposes some hard limits that are sometimes different =
to overcome when you want to re-layout you filesystems. I like the idea =
of ZFS that the boundaries between filesystems (or data sets) are just =
quotas and reservations, instead of low-level address borders as with =
partitions. But then again, as you mentioned, one might want to make =
multiple pools for best performance. At least I want to have the system =
data on a redundant volume, but you are right I could just make a =
separate mirror for that.

By the way, I also tested to boot from a degraded mirror, which worked =
perfectly well. You just have to make sure that the boot loader stages =
are installed on all drives.

Thanks,
Anselm