Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:11:37 -0200
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NTP on 5.x

Brian J. McGovern wrote:

>  > I noticed, the worst way possible, that there are a couple of
>  > differences between ntp activation between -stable and -current.
>  >
>  > First, xntpd is now called ntpd.
>
> Umm, its been this way for quite awhile. From a 4.7
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf...
>
> xntpd_program="/usr/sbin/ntpd"	# path to ntpd, if you want a different
> one.
>
> This has been true since at least 4.0, IIRC.

Let me clarify, then. xntpd_enable is now ntpd_enable. It has been
pointed out to me, though, that there is a glue for xntpd.

>  > Second, ntpdate now reads /etc/ntp.conf. Not much of a problem, but on
>  > -stable it's common practice to change ntpdate_flags to point to
> the server.
>
> >From the man page for ntpd, the FILES section:
>
> /etc/ntp.conf	the default name of the configuration file

Yes, this is a good thing. But ntpdate, which is different from ntpd,
did *not* read this file before. Well, it doesn't now either. It's a
script thingy.

>  > I just think this ought to be documented somewhere (and I, at least,
>  > couldn't find it).
>
> What, in particular, should be documented? /etc/defaults/rc.conf? Your
> changes
> to /etc/rc.conf? /etc/rc.network, which both starts ntpd and _calls_ it
> ntpd in the echo command? The man page should be duplicated someplace
> else?
>
> This is probably one of the few areas that hasn't changed that much.

Tell that to my computer which got the wrong time on current because of
them.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs@newsguy.com
	dcs@freebsd.org
	capo@notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

Westheimer's Discovery:
	A couple of months in the laboratory can
	frequently save a couple of hours in the library.