Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 21:16:12 +0900
From:      Yono Hadi Pramono <yono@uopmu.ees.osakafu-u.ac.jp>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   BOOT.FLP

> From:    Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
> Subject: Re: BOOT.FLP

>      ***o Hadi Pramono on Sat, May 31, 1997 at 03:53:08PM +0900
>
> On Sat, May 31, 1997 at 03:53:08PM +0900, Yono Hadi Pramono wrote:
> >
> > dear:
> > Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies
> >
> > Thank's for information about colorls, so
> > now complettely FreeBSD belong to me.
> >
> > could you please teach me how to make boot.flp which
> > can be done by rawrite.exe command.
>
> I don't know if I quite understand your question. Do you mean how to
> build these boot.flp from a running system? This would be
> cd /usr/src ; 'make release' (but there is quite a lot more to it than just
> that. Or do you mean how to run the rawrite.exe under DOS?
>
> C> RAWRITE
> (you the will be asked for the file and the drive, just type A for example)
>
> Under unix you can do
>
> dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/rfd0a obs=9216
> or
> dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/rfd0a obs=18k
> (the obs option makes it faster)
>

> > All of my friends now want me to install their machines with FreeBSD,
> > that is using FreeBSD'cdrom 2.2.1. My trouble is when the kernel
> > reading devices at boot time, not all device available in the boot kernel
> > at the first time. so we have to compile GENERIC file again to obtain a new
>  kernel.
>
> Do you mean, you have devices that are not in the GENERIC kernel?
>

> > how we can do with this new kernel, like as boot.flp
> > with another words how to make boot.flp ???
> >
> > because I did :
> >
> > 1. formated two new floppy disk(called A and B), with unix format
> > 2. copy new kernel to floppy A, and also made
> > 	a new directory in the floppy like /bin /sbin
> > 3. copying /stand/sysinstall to formated floppy B
> >
> > I did that, but I think this is the bad way
>
> The kernel on the boot.flp is a special (crunched) kernel that
> contains the binaries as well. Can you network your computers
> and build a new kernel on one machine and transfer it later to the
> other machines?
>

> > so please teach me the right way to make a boot.flp
>
> As said above, it's in 'make release' but you will need a
> lot of disk space and I'm not quite sure if you even need the
> CVS tree.
>

> > I am foreward to hearing you
>
> I would suggest you also put the question in the mail list
> freebsd-questions@freebsd.org - you need not be subscribed, I
> believe, but note that you aren't subscribed so that people
> cc: you .
>

> > sincerely
> >
> > yono
> >
> > yono@uopmu.ees.osakafu-u.ac.jp
> >

> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

The important word as you told is:
> The kernel on the boot.flp is a special (crunched) kernel that
> contains the binaries as well.

my questions is how to make boot.flp above ????
how to put both of the binaries and the kernel together inside to the
boot.flp files.

note:
if we mount the boot floppy (dev/fd0) which had already rawrited
in to  /mnt we will see that the kernel only there in.
it means you are true that in the boot.flp is the special kernel.

I means, how to make this special kernel ???

Please help  me, if I can do like boot.flp, so
I'm sure my friend will happy without me have to recompile kernel
in the /usr/src/sys/compile/MYMACHNE
there are three machines with the same merk, using MO, CDWRITER,
SOUND BLASTER and so on.

so we need  to make boot.flp to boot maachine at the first time
before installing all.

OK very-very thank for your help

I need this procedure

sincerely yours,