Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 2021 21:23:57 +0200
From:      Daniel Engberg <daniel.engberg.lists@pyret.net>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Klaus_K=C3=BCchemann?= <maciphone2@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any good alternative to Raspberry for Arm64?

On 2021-03-28 20:55, Klaus Küchemann wrote:
>> Am 28.03.2021 um 20:41 schrieb Daniel Engberg
>> <daniel.engberg.lists@pyret.net>:
>>
>> ….RockPro64 works well in general….
>
> Mine was toasted by one-touch static charge, so suspected relatively
> low hardware-quality,
> I would recommend to use 12v/5a(not 3a) and be very careful by
> touching that board when power is on.
> `have otherRK3399 with M.2-slot(Rock960(no more available on the
> market) while direct nvme -connection-support by
> u-boot&FreeBSD is quite complicate , to say  it kindly( Rock960 boots
> from nvme but hangs @ mountroot> (nvme, nda, nvd seem to have
> problems) . By the way, I doubt that RK3399 is faster than RPI4(tested
> by build world).
> powerd doesn’t scale correctly with RK3399 to 1800 for the big of
> big.LITTLE , so it’s to set manually…...
>
> Regards
>
> K.

ESD can kill any type of hardware, there are multiple reasons why you
shouldn't play around with live hardware and powered off for that matter
without any protection regarding ESD. Pretty much all hardware comes
with clear instructions and warnings about it. Without getting too
technical I say that I have a 3A PSU the runs fine at least for me
however quality of PSUs is a different story. It's a RockPro64 paired
with a dual port PCIe NIC however I would recommend higher rated one if
you plan to attach non external powered USB devices.

We only support mainline u-boot, if you're using forks and/or patched
versions you're kinda "on your own" and there's no (to my knowledge)
support (yet) upstream for booting off NVME or SATA/AHCI.

No one said that support is perfect, it's WIP but of everyday use it's
fine at least for me and others. I cannot give you exact performance
comparisons as I don't own any RPi hardware but from what I can gather
from searching using Google it seems to be pretty similar and you also
have hw crypto support which the Broadcom SoC lacks which may be of
interest depending on your application.

Best regards,
Daniel