Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 18:00:44 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xterm dumps core

>>Because OS vendors can't all agree on a single unified naming scheme
>>it is necessary to have a mechanism to map from the various vendor locale
>>names to the corresponding X name. That's all the locale.alias file is
>>for.

>So, it is definitely bug in locale.alias, it can't parse valid character
>sets names which conforms RFC 1700.

Bullshit. It is not a bug in X's locale.alias.

I refuse to try to play "catch up" with unreleased version of an OS.
How do I know you won't just change them again. When 2.1 is real I
will consider changing them.

>I simple follow existen standard for character set names, namely
>RFC 1700. If X violates RFC 1700

Bullshit. X does not violate RFC 1700. The locale.alias table is
there merely to provide *compatibility* with as many systems as
possible.

>(claiming itself as Standards Body :-)
>sorry, can't resist)

You should have. Saying stupid things doesn't help your case.

>I don't think that it will be good to follow its
>way only because it is X.

Nobody has asked you to do any such thing.

>Could you please pass this issue to X development team?

I don't know if I can do that.

>I mean that I have KOI8-R locale installed, i.e. this name
>present in locale.dir, koi8-r/XLC_LOCALE, tbl_data/tabkoi8-r
>and koi8-r fonts are installed.

>xterm still dumps core for me. Why?

I give up. Why? All the evidence thus far points to problems caused
by changes you've made in FreeBSD. Get the source from XFree86. Compile
it with debug, and solve your problem.

>I don't plan provide backward compatible links, becase
>it allows users to use completely non-standard locale names.

This is one of the stupidest things I've heard lately.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY
X Consortium