Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 2016 18:49:51 +0100
From:      Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Alex V. Petrov" <alexvpetrov@gmail.com>, "ports@FreeBSD.org Ports" <ports@FreeBSD.org>, John Marino <marino@freebsd.org>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: deskutils/calibre

On 02/13/16 17:39, Guido Falsi wrote:
> On 02/13/16 17:01, Alex V. Petrov wrote:
>> I reinstalled xdg-utils. It did not change anything.
>>

> I was finally able to reproduce the issue.
>
> Now at least I can run tests myself.
>
> Thanks all for the kind help!

I'm adding gnome@ as CC, because I'm not sure at this point if this
issue should be looked in the xdg-utils port.

II have generated a patch I'd like affected parties too test, you can
get it here:

https://people.freebsd.org/~madpilot/calibre.diff

Please test it and report back, I'm performing my own testing here right
now. I'll commit it once I am reasonably sure it does address the problem.

It is a simple workaround. By reading the sources of xdg-desktop-menu I
noticed it expects the file PREFIX/share/applications/defaults.list to
always exist (also when working in STAGEDIR), and calls grep with a this
non existent file as argument, causing it to hang. The offending line is
line 93 in the xdg-utuils distribution file scripts/xdg-desktop-menu.in,
in function make_lazy_default() (thanks to Christoph Moench-Tegeder for
pointing me in this direction).

My workaround is to touch this file in STAGEDIR so the script does not
hang. I then remove it to avoid stage orphans.

Anyone has a better solution or can tell if the final fault lays in
calibre or xdg-utils?

Thanks in advance.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>