Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 18:06:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emulation (Was: No port of Opera?)

On Sunday,  9 July 2000 at  1:11:02 -0700, David Schwartz wrote:
>> At 12:31 AM 7/9/2000, David Schwartz wrote:
>
>>>        If it's in fact easier to officially support the Linux
>>> version on FreeBSD, then that will provide a great stepping stone
>>> for getting to real FreeBSD support. Later, with a proven customer
>>> base and demonstrated interest, a business case can be made for
>>> improving FreeBSD support.
>>
>> Unfortunately, David, they won't know which users are running FreeBSD, and
>> therefore will not be able to quantify that customer base. It is therefore
>> unlikely that their marketers will be able to make a case for the native
>> port.
>>
>> --Brett
>
> 	While I think that this could potentially happen, I don't think it's
> inevitable. A lot hinges on how vocal and visible the FreeBSD crowd is.
>
> 	Let's consider a case where it might matter. You have to make a few
> assumptions, or it doesn't even matter:
>
> 	1) The company has a Linux build. (Otherwise, it doesn't matter whether or
> not FreeBSD has Linux emulation.)
>
> 	2) They don't [yet] have a native FreeBSD build. (Otherwise, it doesn't
> matter whether or not FreeBSD has Linux emulation.)
>
> 	3) The Linux build works on FreeBSD under emulation. (Otherwise, it doesn't
> matter whether or not FreeBSD has Linux emulation.)
>
> 	Now think about what happens given that these three things are true. Having
> the Linux version being used on FreeBSD can only increase the number of
> people talking about the product and FreeBSD.
>
> 	Now, two things are possible:
>
> 	1) The non-native build works perfectly under FreeBSD. (In which case,
> except for OS bigotry, there is no reason to have a FreeBSD-native version.)
>
> 	2) A native build would work significantly better. (In which case, the only
> reason for the company not to make a native build is if it doesn't justify
> the improvement (in which case, they _shouldn't_ make one just to make the
> FreeBSD crowd happy), or it does (in which case, if they're smart, they'll
> make one.)

*sigh* I had intended to keep out of this, but I must say I like your
analysis.  I'd like to add that we're not really talking about Linux
vs. BSD here, we're talking about ABIs.  At a time when even the
commercial vendors are talking about adopting the Linux ABI, and I
recently received a book on SUS2 from the OpenGroup which included an
(uninstallable) copy of Deviant Linux, it seems remarkably
head-in-the-sand to say that we should ignore this particular ABI
because it was written for our "competitor".

Greg