Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2013 16:20:30 -0500
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: From 10 Beta4 to 10 RC1 lost gpt labels added by the installer

On 12/13/2013 11:03, Johan Hendriks wrote:
> Teske, Devin schreef:
>> On Dec 13, 2013, at 12:55 AM, Johan Hendriks wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all.
>>>
>>> I installed FreeBSD 10 Beta4 the day before the RC1 release and used
>>> the ZFS install option, all went well.
>>> I then downloaded the new source for 10 RC1 and did a buildworld.
>>> It rebooted, the machine booted fine only did it show an error
>>> regarding the swap space.
>>> I could not mount /dev/gpt/swap0 and /dev/gpt/swap1
>>>
>>> /dev/diskid/DISK...... and so on.
>>>
>>> /dev/gpt was not there anymore.
>>>
> Well after the upgrade i have no GPT labels any more (they are on the
> disk, but not useable).
> So the disk has the labels.
> But they are not active, /dev/gpt is not available, i think it gets
> overwritten or pushed out of the way by glabel.
>
> glabel list shows me the following
> jailhost ~ # glabel list
> Geom name: ada0
> Providers:
> 1. Name: diskid/DISK-WMATV654xxxx
> There's been a similar problem with graid, are you sure that's
>> not what's going on here? That the OS has picked up on some
>> BIOS-created thing?

I think you ran into the same issue I did when I replaced a HD with an ssd,
and the 10 kernel started detecting a 'diskid' string from the ssd. It
was causing
geom to detect my disk by the diskid, and for some reason it was
blocking access
to my swap partition (overzealous exclusive access to the disk?). Try
putting
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable=0 in /boot/loader.conf and rebooting.
I've been
meaning to file a PR.