Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:59:39 -0800
From:      Ken Key <key@KSquared.NET>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ordering FreeBSD wireless kit today...

> I'm considering the Wavelan Access Point (mfg #848546388, about $300),

I haven't had my hands on an RG-1000 yet, but I have Lucent AP-1000's
all over the place.  Assuming the RG-1000 uses the same code-base, these
are KarlNet boxes, just like the Apple AirPort.  Unfortunately, just like
the Apple AirPort, they have some vendor specific modifications.  The
AP-1000's are managed via a Windows-only Access Point Manager.  I tried
the Java AirPort manager and, not too suprisingly, it can discover the boxes
but not configure them.  Likewise, the Lucent AP Manager discovers
Apple AirPorts but won't manage them.  I've tried to challenge one of
my Java programming co-workers into working on a port of the AirPort
manager to control the Lucent boxes, but we just don't have the time
right now.

For my home system, I've used an Apple AirPort for about a 9 months, which
I currently manage from FreeBSD with the Java Configurator.

  http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/

Of course, that means no 128-bit WEP at home.  However, the WEP only means
that everyone else on your network can sniff your packets, as opposed to
everyone else passing by.  It's not real security, just a barrier to
entry :-)

> and the Wavelan Orinoco PC card gold ($180).

That's what I use.  Widely and happily.

Regards,
K^2
--