Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:55:10 +1000
From:      John Vender <john@jmv.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   box with scsi doesn't boot after install

I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.2 (using cd burned with ISO image I=
 downloaded and install floppies created from that) on a Digital Celebris=
 XL6180 PPro machine with scsi (specs below) and although I get through the=
 installation, when attempting to boot from the hard disk it doesn't get=
 past displaying the bios settings screen.

The hardware is as follows:

Digital Celebris XL6180 (PPro 200, 32MB of RAM)
Symbios Logic 8100S PCI SCSI controller
Seagate ST32550N 2 gig SCSI hd
Toshiba XM-5401TA SCSI cd-rom
Matrox Millennium PCI video card
2 SMC Intel 21041-AA based PCI NICs
2 serial ports and one parallel

I had a look at the hardware compatibility page and as far as I could work=
 out everything above is supported. I didn't find the Symbios controller as=
 one of the selections on the hardware configuration screen so I tried a few=
 settings but didn't get a hard disk boot with anything I tried. I searched=
 the list archives but unfortunately didn't find anything to help with this.

The machine was running dual boot win98 and win2k until the attempts to=
 install FreeBSD. I have FreeBSD the whole hard disk and used the automatic=
 partition setup. I also tried installing with and without a boot manager.

I'll be most grateful for any pointers for the settings I need to use and=
 anything else which may help me find how to get it to boot from the scsi=
 hard disk.

Thanks in advance.

John