Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:06:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        Dave Rossow <dave@dreksys.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Verisign dns trick

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

> I've got most everything with www.dotster.com....
>
> <casual observation>
> Better? I dunno....works pretty well, 'cept
> their 'update nameservers' script refuses
> to acknowledge the existence of any DNS
> machine you haven't explicity registered with
> their site...and it sometimes takes a while for
> the site to determine that the NS you entered
> can be added to their database
> </casual observation>

This is true with all registrars -- its a bit of the ugly underbelly
behind how data gets from the registrars to the live DNS servers.  On the
plus side, once the registration is in there you can change the IPs for
the host entry and not have to update every single domain entry using that
host.

Of course, if you use a non-verisign aligned registrar, host adds and
domain updates usually happen instantaneously so the registration burden
is much less :)

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org