Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:22:06 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Rem P Roberti <rem@bsd.remdog.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Incoming Mail Announcement

Rem P Roberti wrote:

> Hi Everyone.  More newbie stuff.  I finally got Mutt and
> Getmail configured properly and everything is
> working great.  However...this dear woman keeps
> intruding on my life to announce to me that I have
> "incoming mail," and I have no idea about how to---
>  if you will excuse the expression---kill her.  A
> heads up on this would be most appreciated.
>
> Rem

And which "dear woman" is this?  And, if she is really
dear, you wouldn't dare to kill her!!!  :-D

Now, if you're actually talking about the shell, check
your shell resource files for the 'set mail' line.

On mine, it is:

	 set mail = (/var/mail/$USER)

Which I believe defaults to checking the mail every 5 minutes.
Change that to:

	 set mail = (86400 /var/mail/$USER)

     and the old lady will only nudge you once
each morning ;-)  Probably something a little smaller
would be best.

Kevin Kinsey
--
The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them.
		-- Lenny Bruce