Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:00:49 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Todd M Kokoszka <kokostm@auburn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems compiling doxygen_1.2.16_1

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:58:39AM -0500, Todd M Kokoszka wrote:

>gmake[2]: Entering directory
>`/usr/ports/devel/doxygen/work/doxygen-1.2.16/src'
>c++ -c -O -pipe -D_THREAD_SAFE -Wall -W -I../qtools -o ../objects/config.o
>config.cpp
>
>By a very long time -- about 50 minutes before I stopped it. config.o was
>always 0 bytes.
>
>I had installed gcc-3.0.4 and it actually compiled that file in about 1
>minute, but I had some compiler config problems and I ended up installing
>more recent version, 3.1.0 and it doesn't work with that. It also didn't
>work and experienced exactly the same problem with gcc 2.95.3.
>
>Is this a problem with my configuration or a bug?

Since I built on -STABLE before I committed, I would suggest that it is
a problem with your system.

It's never been tried with gcc 3.x by me, anyway, and since I don't run
-CURRENT it won't be (at least not in the forseeable future). FWIW We
don't support ports building with other than the standard system
compiler.

I have just confirmed that it builds correctly using 4.6-STABLE from
20020714.

[alane ~]$ gcc --version
2.95.4

However, if it is any consolation, you can congratulate yourself that
you have found a bug in the gcc 3.x compilers which failed to compile
the file. Normally I would say that you wouldn't have a chance of
getting the GCC folks to take a bug report on an input file that size;
however, since it was generated by flex, they may make an exception.

I'd suggest you submit a report on the latest 3.1.x version that you
tried and include the flex input file, the output C file, the flex
command line used, the version of flex used, and the gcc command line
used.
--
AlanE