Date:      Fri, 02 May 1997 01:30:28 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM target

At 09:30 PM 5/1/97 -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>what is a BIFF packet anyways?  never heard the term...

man biff
Formatting page, please wait...Done.

BIFF(1)                 FreeBSD General Commands Manual                BIFF(1)

NAME
     biff - be notified if mail arrives and who it is from

--snip--

You can stop this by commenting out comsat in /etc/inetd.conf (default in
2.2.1) and HUPing inetd.

Once had a local system doing this, which was annoying.  The port biff
uses, 512, should be filtered at the router.

>well.. I think we should call the FBI.. it's a national matter as
>he has crossed state lines... as he's spamming our "fax machines"
>across the country (and world wide)...

Some dweeb threatened me with:

     By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
     meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)
     (1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to
     such equipment, punishable by action to recover actual monetary
     loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for EACH violation.

For a customer's news posting?!  Right and you read the subject and *still*
read the message.  FO.

Anyone ever hear of a precedence set, except in either Indiana or Iowa, for
this?  One of the 2 states had a case where this was applied to a mass
mailer, but I never got a copy of the news clip for this one.

You could call, but unless it was sufficient to cause a "denial of service"
you may not have much legal recourse.

(OK, I will admit that I've done some digging, but wish I had tangible
laws.... or access to military hardware for pinpoint targeting of certain
ground targets from a F-114 ;)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990