Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:04:14 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Status of support for 4KB disk sectors

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 03:50:15PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> I just want to check on the status of 4K sector support in FreeBSD. =A0I=
 read
>> a long thread on the topic from a while back and it looks like I might h=
it some
>> issues if I'm not REALLY careful. Since I will be keeping the existing W=
indows
>> installation, I need to be sure that I can set up the disk correctly wit=
hout
>> screwing up Windows 7.
>>
>> I was planning on just DDing the W7 slice over, but I am not sure how we=
ll this
>> would play with GPT. Or should I not try to use GPT at all? I'd like
>> to as this laptop
>> spreads Windows 7 over two slices and adds a third for the recovery
>> system, leaving
>> only one for FreeBSD and I'd like to put my files in a separate slice.
>> GPT would offer
>> that fifth slice.
>>
>> I have read the handbook and don't see any reference to 4K sectors and o=
nly a
>> one-liner about gpart(8) and GPT. Oncew I get this all figured out,
>> I'll see about writing
>> an update about this as GPT looks like the way to go in e future.
>
> When you say "4KB sector support", what do you mean by this? =A0All
> drives on the market as of this writing, that I've seen, all claim a
> physical/logical sector size of 512 bytes -- yes, even SSDs, and EARS
> drives which we know use 4KB sectors. =A0They do this to guarantee full
> compatibility with existing software.
>
> Since you're talking about gpart and "4KB sector support", did you mean
> to ask "what's the state of FreeBSD and aligned partition support to
> ensure decent performance with 4KB-sector drives?"
>
> If so: there have been some commits in recent days to RELENG_8 to help
> try to address the shortcomings of the existing utilities and GEOM
> infrastructure. =A0Read the most recent commit text carefully:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sbin/geom/class/part/geom_part.=
>
> But the currently "known method" is to use gnop(8). =A0Here's an example:
>
> http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/05/03/another-root-on-zfs-howto-optimi=
zed-for-4k-sector-drives/

> Now, that's for ZFS, but I'm under the impression the exact same is
> needed for FFS/UFS.

Jeremy,

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. If I shell out for a high-end 7200
RPM drive for
my laptop only to have it run like a dog.

Thanks for the pointers. The first is good news. I'm a bit confused as to w=
hat I
will need gnop(8) for, but I'll be spending some time reading both the arti=
cle
and the gnop man page and hopefully that will make it clear. I've only
used gpart
once and to took way too long to figure out what I needed to do, but it did=
 work
fine. I just wish FreeBSD had some decent documentation on such a fundament=
al
operation. Fortunately there are some pretty good articles folks have
written, but
they did leave me with several questions.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com