Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 2015 12:10:18 -0400
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: followup storage question

> On Sep 11, 2015, at 11:02 AM, William A. Mahaffey III <wam@hiwaay.net> wro=
te:
>=20
> Hmmmm .... OK, however if I carefully 'gpart -a 4k' the underlying partiti=
ons aligned, then wouldn't the resulting ZFS above also be aligned ?

Thanks to gpart's -a setting the partition will be a multiple of 4k in size a=
nd aligned upon the outer context (disk) at 4k boundaries but the alignment/=
size of [each/every] i/o request that ZFS sends to the device node, well tha=
t is a different story. That is what the ashift value controls and it gets s=
tamped onto the new vdev when ZFS first christens a device/partition. The sy=
sctl or gnop helps us ensure the ashift value we bake into a vdev is truly t=
he value we want after all the low down dirty deceitful layers of abstractio=
n beneath that are often lying to us.

The situation's no better on any other operating system, even if they hide i=
t better that only opens up the possibility it makes wrong guesses. This is j=
ust a growing pain resulting from ever increasing disk/file sizes/densities v=
s the demand for backward compatibility.=