Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:58:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      dima@best.net (Dima Ruban)
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OSF/1 binary compatibility

Am I missing something?

alpha# make
cc -O -pipe -g -DCOMPAT_OSF1 -Werror  -DKERNEL -Wreturn-type -Wcomment
-Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit  -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wuninitialized -Wformat
-Wunused  -fformat-extensions -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-
-I/usr/obj/a/home/dima/sys/modules/osf1
-I/usr/obj/a/home/dima/sys/modules/osf1/@ -mno-fp-regs -Wa,-mev56 -c
/a/home/dima/sys/modules/osf1/../../alpha/osf1/osf1_signal.c
/a/home/dima/sys/modules/osf1/../../alpha/osf1/osf1_signal.c: In function
`osf1_sigaction':
/a/home/dima/sys/modules/osf1/../../alpha/osf1/osf1_signal.c:301: structure
has no member named `osf_sigtramp'
/a/home/dima/sys/modules/osf1/../../alpha/osf1/osf1_signal.c: In function
`osf1_sendsig':
/a/home/dima/sys/modules/osf1/../../alpha/osf1/osf1_signal.c:709: structure
has no member named `osf_sigtramp'
*** Error code 1

Stop.
alpha#

Andrew Gallatin writes:

> I've taken NetBSD's OSF1 binary emulator (written by Chris Demetriou)
> and ported it to FreeBSD.  I've added signifigant functionality so
> that the FreeBSD version is able to run dynamically linked Digital
> UNIX binaries.
>
> With the software floating point completion code that was recently
> done by Doug Rabson, as well the recently committed (by Doug, on my
> behalf) stack fixes & minor changes to kern_exec.c, the emulator is
> ready for general consumption.  Its available for download at
> ftp://ftp.cs.duke.edu/pub/gallatin/osf1.tar.gz
>
> You'll need a number of things in order to make it useful
>
> a) a Digital UNIX or OSF/1 filesystem mounted at /compat/osf1,
> 	complete with shared libraries.  Remember that in order to legally use
> 	the shared libraries, your machine must be licensed to run Digital UNIX
>
> b) a kernel built from very recent sources
> 	(you must have revision 1.92 or better of kern_exec.c)
>
> c) an up-to-date /usr/share/mk so that your kernel module is
> 	built with the proper flags (-mno-fp-regs -Wa,-mev56)
>

> To get started, download the above tarball and untar it into your
> source tree.  Then cd to sys/modules/osf1 and build & install it.
> Load the module with the just installed osf1 shell script.
>
> I've done admittedly limited testing.  The following programs appear to
> work without a hitch -- Netscape 4.5, Mathematica 3.0.2, xemacs 20.3.
>
> The following have some problems:
>
> Splus 3.4 -- command line editing doesn't work due to pty cloning problem
> cvsup(*)  -- occasional m3 execption problem(static binary from http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~nanbor/CVSUP/cvsup-15.2-client-alpha.osf4.0b.tar.gz)
> csh/tcsh  -- some sort of signal handling problem after a child exits
>
> The known problems thus far are
>
> o many tty ioctls are not implemented, or are implemented incorrectly
> o signal handling is fragile
> o programs, such as Adobe Acroread, which are linked to libmach use
> 	hard to emulate mach traps.  See README.mach-traps for CGD's words
> 	on this
> o I really need to clean things up a little more..
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Drew

-- dima