Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:01:20 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        Eric <erics@idirect.com>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: More then 4 Partitions on a SCSI drive.

On Wednesday, 16 June 1999 at 10:24:36 +0200, Ladavac Marino wrote:
>> On Wednesday, June 16, 1999 3:03 AM, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>> To:	Eric
>> Cc:	Christian Weisgerber; FreeBSD Questions
>> Subject:	Re: More then 4 Partitions on a SCSI drive.
>>
>> 3.  After installation, create a directory /usr/var and make /var a
>>     symbolic link to it.  You don't need an /opt file system, but if
>>     you want one, do the same thing with it.  Do I detect an SNI
>>     background?
>>
> 	[ML]  Greg, regardless how high our (dis)like for SINIX is, /opt
> is pretty much a SVR4 thing.

Sure.

> SINIX is just as vanilla SVR4 as it can get, and still work on
> Siemens hardware (some of which is actually reasonably good--the
> 600E series:)

I have worked for SNI in the past, so I know the machines in some
detail.  It's your assumption that I'm saying anything negative about
them.  But they *do* have this irritating habit of installing 5
partitions on every system disk, and you can't stop them.  I once
spent 2 days on SNI time trying.

> 	I think you are detecting Linux here (some distributions--RedHat
> IIRC--use that as well).

Possibly.

Greg