Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:10:24 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: file harvest

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:59:58AM -0500, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> Since I cannot ssh into the snap,  can I mount it to my BSD box and run s=
ome
> of those utilities?
=20
It seems that SnapOS uses a modified UFS. See http://www.dtidata.com/resour=
cecenter/category/file-systems-explained/snap-server-file-systems/

I quote:=20

"SNAP Appliance used a proprietary Unix File System (UFS) handler in
 order to run there Network Attached Storage (NAS) product. This
 particular OS ran a Berkley Software Distribution (BSD) flavor of
 UFS. Although there are many similarities to the original file system,
 there are also enough changes to make file recovery extremely
 difficult."

So you could try putting it in a FreeBSD box, use dd to make an image of
the whole disk, and experiment on that image. But maybe you should
contact dtidata. They seem to know a lot about this appliance.

Alternatively, does the web interface provide a means to run a fsck?
That might be the best solution.

Roland
--=20

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY