Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:41:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jamie <jamie@gnulife.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   systat -mbufs

   I am having a hard time determining what the output of systat -mbufs is
giving me. Here is the output I am getting:

                 /0   /1   /2   /3   /4   /5   /6   /7   /8   /9   /10
     Load Average   |

          /0   /5   /10  /15  /20  /25  /30  /35  /40  /45  /50  /55  /60
data      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 172
headers   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
free      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 2235

   What are the "headers"? What specifically does "data" represent? I
tried "man systat" and this is all that the mbufs section is coughing up:

<SNIP>
  mbufs       Display, in the lower window, the number of mbufs allocated
                 for particular uses, i.e. data, socket structures, etc.
</SNIP>

  As a bit of a newbie, this doesn't really tell me much. Anyone know what
the output represents, or how it can be interpreted? What is a "red flag"
condition? Thanks!

    - Jamie

Greetings from Minneapolis, MN, United States

"A friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself."