Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:05:04 -0400
From:      Chen Xu <xuc@mcbi-34.med.nyu.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp delete the line "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in resolv.conf

Greetings,

I guess you can give me the anwser.

I have two FreeBSD boxes at home as LAN. Like this:

            ppp	        ether
    my ISP <---> box1 -------- box2

box1(FreeBSD3.2) is the gateway, connecting outside "ppp -auto -alias
myisp". Works fine.  It also runs DNS server for the local host names
resolving. Box2 running 4.0-stable. Everything worked fine without
connecting via ppp (both boxes can see each other by DNS). BUT, after
ppp connection to outside after 1 minute or so, the line (in the
/etc/resolv.conf)

"nameserver 127.0.0.1" will be deleted from the file. The next to
entries will stay.

/etc/resolv.conf
=========================
domain home	       <---- stay
nameserver 127.0.0.1   <------- this line will be deleted
nameserver 11.22.33.44 < --- stay
nameserver 55.66.77.88 < --- stay
=========================

the lone added here "nameserver 127.0.0.1" is just the the local DNS. In
the box1 which is the NDS server, it makes sense as it points to itself.
The domian "home" is the actaul name I give to my home LAN. Don't know
if that's something wrong.

After ppp connection is established for 1 or 2 minutes, the first line
is deleted box1 cannnot see box2 anymore. Seeing outside still OK. Box2
can see box1 and outside.

Even I set the mode of /etc/resolv.conf as read-only, it still changes
every time I make ppp connection.

What's wrong?

--
Chen Xu