Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 23:23:51 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plugin? (Re: Complaining at Warner Brothers? )

   Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 19:08:06 -0700
   From: Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>

   Dump the GNU enviroment if it does not meet your needs.

The GNU environment does meet *my* needs.

Plugins are not one of *my* needs.

Anyway, I don't think you really want me to have an attitude that
I only care about the OSes that I personally happen to use.  It
happens that I don't use freebsd at all.  I love the conversation on
this list, but I happen to run Linux on my own machine, and I
don't see that freebsd is likely to be substantially better than
Linux.

All the key software I need exists on any Unix system, or at
least can be installed on any Unix system.  I don't have a
strong commitment to Linux.  I'll happily switch to Hurd
when it works well enough.

But I want E-scape to work well for the entire free software community,
regardless of which OS they happen to be running.

   Also I am not sure whats the big deal for writing an abstract interface
   to load up modules at run time.

It can be done, but it takes extra effort to make it work on every
platform.  If there's a portable interface, I'd rather use that.

GNU programs are generally supposed to work out of the box on every
OS.  It's a lot of admnistrative overhead for me if I have to keep
support for every OS merged.

Should I worry about BSDI or UnixWare?  I don't care about those systems,
but someone probably does.  It would take time for me to merge someone
else's patches.

   > Give me a handful of examples of plugins for which you expect that
   > the source will be distributed, and maybe I'll consider it.

   Hmm.. Look up the MIDIX plugin which uses timidy to playback midi files
   I lost my http pointer to it ..

Isn't it easy enough to include code in E-scape which knows about
timidy?  Won't that solve the problem?