Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:18:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 3.4-RELEASE -> 4.0-RELEASE via source

There's information in /usr/src/UPDATING on this transition.  You
need, in effect, an interim kernel build with a few things made and
installed first to get the kernel to build.

I wrote up the process (essential does the same thing you're told to
do in /usr/src/UPDATING) on
http://andrsn.stanford.edu/FreeBSD/3.4_4.0.html
This document is probably incomplete on dealing with ide drives, but
it should give you a feeling for what's going on and why you need to
do some bootstrapping.

There are also a few threads on the -stable mailing list on this
process.

	Annelise