Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 20:52:28 -0400
From:      Len Huppe <huppe@mailtag.com>
To:        ANTHONY ZOULOUFOS <ant_zoul@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions

I'll try and give you some answers.

ANTHONY ZOULOUFOS wrote:

> There are a few questions I would like to ask and have
> answered if possible.
>
> Can someone set the security of files on a unix
> (FreeBSD) server directly from a windows machine,
> which is networked with it? (how?).

You would need to log into the FreeBSD box from the windoze box and
become root.  Allowing a direct root logon is not recommended so I would
suggest that you log in as a normal user and then su to root.  Also,
make sure that you do this through a secure connection.  Having said all
of that, it is adviseable to do all of your work as root from the actual
system console if possible.  Some of the other folks on this list may
wish to elaborate on that a little bit since I am not a security guru.

> How can someone see the free space on his disk
> (+percentage)?

df -k

> What is the difference between a text file ftp'd with
> binary or ascii. (what are the actual differences ? )

There is no difference when transferring text files, but binary mode is
needed when transferring anything else.  binaries, tarballs, zips, ISOs
etc...

> If you were hacking a unix  or FreeBSD system, which
> files would you change permissions on, and what would
> these permission be?

Please don't ask us to answer questions like that on this list.

> How big in octets is a music cd?

I don't know how many octets they are but I do know that a music CD is
80 minutes and 700 Mbytes as apposed to the standard 74 minutes and 650
Mbytes for data CDs.

Len