Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:47:50 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@eurocontrol.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VAIO 505F vs Toshiba 3015CT

> I'm planning to buy either a Sony VAIO 505F or a Toshiba 3010/3015CT (or a
> subnotebook with equivalent performances/size/weight, if you have
> suggestions please do).
>
> Has anyone opinion about either of these ? I've seen people using the 505G
> model in the laptop survey from PAO so I guess the 505F would work. I think
> some of the KAME people have VAIO notebooks too.

I have a Sony VAIO 747 - I got it on December 3.  On December 16 the
inverter board died, resulting in a *very* feint screen (you can only
bearly see bright white things).

Sony customer services took 3 weeks to get it fixed and refused to
replace it.  I believe the only reason they got it fixed was that I
did the Mastercard / registered letter / termination of contract of
sale bit after the second week (I would have done it sooner, but I
couldn't send a registered letter over the Christmas period).  I was
given neither compensation or an apology.

For a company the size of Sony, I find this disgusting and would
recommend that people don't buy Sony (I certainly never will again).
Their products are fine, the way they treat their customers stinks.

If anyone wants further details, I'll be glad to provide them.

[.....]

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;