Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:47:37 -0500
From:      "Jean M. Vandette" <vandj@securenet.net>
To:        tim@iafrica.com.na
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vlan device in FreeBSD 4.2

At 01:18 PM 22/11/2000 +0200, you wrote:
Greetings,

Actually I tried that and didn't get the panic but I couldn't get
the vlan to work either.

If you have the Vlan devices working I would like to see how you have this
configured.  First I configured persudo-device vlan in the kernel

then ifconfig_vlan0="inet 192.168.100.10 netmask 255.255.255.192 vlan 43
vlandev fxp3

I did a couple of tests and my mac number shows up at the remote end of the
vlan so I know the packets are getting their (bpf also confirms this)
but when the reply comes back I see the packet when doing a dump on
the fxp3 device but it seems to go nowhere.  I seem to be missing something
to tie it all together.

Any suggestions or corrections to my configuration above would be of
great help.  I know I'm not doing something right.

Thank you for the reply.

Jean M. Vandette

>It seems someone has introduced a bug to ifconfig, if you do not
>configure the  adapeter before you configure the vlan device, you get a
>panic. Work around configure the device before you configure the vlan
>device.
>
>Tim.
>
>"Jean M. Vandette" wrote:
> >
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I've been trying to get Vlan's to work on 4.2 and would like to know
> > if anyone has gotten this to work and if so how?
> >
> > A short setup lesson would be greatly appreciated I've been trying
> > to get the Vlan's working for a while and still have not succeeded.
> > Yes I have read the ifconfig man page but still seem to be missing
> > something, I get a kernel panic 12 whenever I try to bring up the vlan.
> >
> > Any help from someone who has got this working would be of great help.
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> >
> > Jean M. Vandette

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message

**John M. Vandette, Consultant       vandj@securenet.net**
**SecureNet Information Services Inc. Internet Providers**
**100 Alexis Nihon Blvd #283 St. Laurent, Quebec, Canada**
**"Who does BSD Unix....?"    "We do Chucky... We do..."**