Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:03:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        Wile Coyote <wilec@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inode structure in memory

I'd expect there really isn't much of a win from doing this. The disk
buffer system should cache the really crucial inode blocks for
you. It's been a while since I've been inside a BSD I/O system,
though, so you probably want to double check this on -hackers.

If you really feel that's not good enough, I once added a cron job
that every so often just read in the directory structure for the
crucial directories. This caused them to be refreshed in the cache,
and thus kept in memory.

	<mike