Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 20:15:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good buy or not?

On Sun, 5 Jan 1997 wb2oyc@cyberenet.net wrote:

> 	I wonder if anyone on the list may have experience with Packard
> Bell machines, running FreeBSD?

I haven't, but the two that I tried to load OS/2 on wouldn't boot it.

> The reason for the question is, a local
> store is selling excess stock that didn't sell during the holiday season

Is the public starting to wise up??  :)

> at a price that is very, very, tempting.  Actually, the price is only a
> little more than the cost of a decent motherboard, and it is for a
> complete system, including monitor, 4X CD-ROM, etc.

Forget the motherboard, are the other components (i.e. those from real
manufacturers)  worth what they are asking?

> The processor is a
> 75Mhz Pentium.  I don't know the whole story of the Pentium line, but
> would it be reasonable to assume that the cpu could be readily upgraded?

AKAIK, the 75Mhz is the only Pentium that uses a 50Mhz motherboard clock
and a 25Mhz PCI bus clock.  I doubt that the PH motherboard has adjustable
clock speed, so short of a 150, 166, or 200Mhz Pentium the best you'd end
up with would be a 100Mhz.

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD