Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 12:32:55 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Powell <mark@ucsalf.ac.uk>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does Adaptec 7880 Ultra support simultaneous wide and narrow transfers?

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:
> When did you get your -stable system?  There were some bug fixes that were incorporated
> into the aic7xxx driver in late June.  Make sure you're running a -stable after that
> date.

Cheers, that seems to have fixed it. ~900K/s now. Still I thought two
7200rpm drives would be at least in the M/s range?

> If you want to increase performance, add option "AHC_TAGENABLE" to your kernel
> configuration.  If all your devices handle tagged queueing properly, then you
> can try adding "AHC_SCBPAGING_ENABLE" to your kernel configuration also.

Okay, done both. Seems okay. Drive seems to make a different noise on
boot-up now. Different seek patterns with the new code or just pure
imagination?

> For devices on both internal narrow and wide channels, you should have termination
> set to Low Off / High On.

Already done that. Many thanks for the help though.

> Dan Eischen
> deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org

Mark Powell - Senior Network Technician - Room: C806
Computer Services Unit, University College Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel:	+44 161 745 3376	Fax:	+44 161 736 3596
Email:	mark@ucsalf.ac.uk	finger mark@ucsalf.ac.uk (for PGP key)
<A HREF="http://www.ucsalf.ac.uk/~mark/">Home Page</A>