Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:44:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf leakage in NFSv3 writes, possbile?

:I have 2 NFS servers.  One is primarily read-only, the other read-write, they
:service the same clients (the read-only services more).  They are (were) of
:the same build.  I have a problem on the read/write server where it chews
:through mbuf clusters (it goes through about 3k in a day).  Especially late
:at night the machine is not busy.  And now it is also not busy, yet every
:minute or so it goes through a few mbuf clusters.  The rate is about 108
:minutes for 300 clusters.  Does it sound reasonable that there is a mbuf leak
:in the NFS code somewhere?
:
:--
:David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu

    The server side caches mbuf chains to hold replies to NFS requests.  This
    is done because it is quite common for requests to be repeated.

    The question is whether you are simply seeing the effect of this caching,
    or whether you have an actual mbuf leak.

    Does the mbuf usage / memory usage stabilize after a while or do you
    actually run out?

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>