Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 00:11:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney Jr." <danm@DanMahoney.com>
To:        freeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Broken /stand/sysinstall?

Okay, this may sound dumb, but I'm running 2.2.7, and REALLY don't feel
like messing with what works for me (I've heard a number of horror stories
about 3.0/3.1...Maybe it's just the number...Should prolly be left out
like the 13th floor on buildings.)

ANYway...I used to install packages via /stand/sysinstall, but for some
reason it can no longer find the symbolic links that used to reside on the
FTP servers.  I've tried manually pointing it at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-2.2.7 (you try
typing that like ten times), but it still can't find the directory it
wants.

I've tried reading the manpages for sysinstall (it doesn't HAVE one), and
was wondering if anyone either knew some way to "trick" sysinstall into
thinking it was reading the directory it needs to (apparently
$ftpsite/$ftpdir/$dist/packages), where in this case it would at least
need to read packages-2.2.7.

If anyone knows anything (or has the source for sysinstall that can be
slightly modified and hard-coded for this particular distribution and
server), it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all your time...

-Dan Mahoney

--

"Don't try to out-wierd me.  I get stranger things than you free with my
breakfast cereal."

-Button seen at I-CON XVII (and subsequently purchased)

Dan Mahoney
Gushi on efnet IRC
ICQ:13735144
(webpages TBA)