Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:29:27 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why FreeBSD procfs is so different from the Linux one?

--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG

Jonathan Chen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 02:24:49AM -0700, Yuri wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > When I look at /proc/PID/ in FreeBSD I see the files:
> > cmdline ctl     dbregs  etype   file    fpregs  map     mem     note   =
 notepg=20
> > regs    rlimit  status
> > and in Linux:
> > cmdline  cpu  cwd  environ  exe  fd  maps  mem  mounts  root  stat  sta=
tm  status
> >=20
> > Why there's such a difference in procfs interface to the process inform=
ation?
> >=20
> > In addition Linux has /proc/self/ link which is named curproc in FreeBS=
D.
> >=20
> > Isn't it better to have the same interface across the systems?
>=20
> Maybe. Why don't you get the Linux guys to change theirs? FreeBSD has
> been around longer.

Well, technically no.  BSD predates linux, but linux predates FreeBSD
by a few years.  In general though, linux is a reimplimentation and
they've had a habit of changing things in the process, but for any
given interface it's not generally accurate to say linux is the
reimplimentation....sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

--=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

--LpQ9ahxlCli8rRTG