Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 08:22:03 +0200
From:      German Tischler <tanis@gaspode.franken.de>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AD1815 Based Sound Cards

On Thu, Aug 06, 1998 at 08:38:26PM -0600, Doug Russell wrote:

> Has anyone ever used a card based on the Analog Devices AD1815 chip?
> I can get it detected by the pcm driver, and I can use the mixer, and I
> can 'cat kernel > /dev/dsp0' and it sounds like a kernel.  :)  (I can play
> real .wav files by catting them to the device, or using splay, as well.)
>
> HOWEVER...  I can't play an mp3 using mp123 or splay.  When I try, I get:
>
> SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0xd1) timeout, IRQ conflict ?
> SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0x48) timeout, IRQ conflict ?
> SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0x91) timeout, IRQ conflict ?
> SoundBlaster: DSP Command(0xd3) timeout, IRQ conflict ?
>
> It cuts off the line input at this point too, and the mixer no longer
> seems to have any effect.  So.... The question is.  What the heck is going
> on, here?
>
> I don't think it really is an IRQ conflict or PNP configuration problem.
> The card is PNP only, and in a PNP machine it seems to set itself up
> reasonably.  (When I put it in this machine, pnpinfo reports that it set
> itself to irq 5, 0x220, drq1, etc... the usual values.)  The pcm driver,
> set to those settings finds the card as pcm0.  If I add the vendor ID to
> sb_dsp.c, it is detected as pcm1 automatically, regardless of the pcm0
> settings, as far as I can tell.
>
> In a non-pnp machine, I set it manually via userconfig to irq9, drq1,
> 0x220.  It is then detected as pcm0 with matching settings in userconfig.
>
> It seems to me like an interrupt problem, but I don't see why it would be
> having a problem.  Does anyone have any docs for this chip?  I haven't
> found any yet.
>
> Dropping a Vibra16X based SoundBlaster in the same machines works fine.
> (Even at the same hard wired IRQ settings, etc. in the non-pnp machine.)

You might try if you get success with my ad1816 patches for Luigi's code.
They are located at

http://www.mayn.franken.de/users/tanis

You will at least have to add the PNP id of your card to the pnp probe.

If it works you should get better support for your card than with just
Soundblaster emulation.

--
German Tischler            tanis@gaspode.franken.de
Apple eaten (core dumped)  tanis@cip.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de