Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 23:34:55 -0500
From:      Timothy Toroni <timothy@indy.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Connect & prompt times.

I'm running FreeBSD RESLEASE-2.2.5 on a 486dx33 with 8meg of memory.  I
also have an 3c509(?)...  the epX device.

The computers in question are:
normandy.torpedogames.com    10.0.0.101
iwojima.torpedogames.com        10.0.0.104

I am running the DNS server on normandy and it works great, my win95
machine is able to to use it fine.

The problem is that when I telnet or ftp to the computer(s) it connects
immediately but then sits for over a minute.  Once I get the login
prompt I can login fine.  When I run netstat it also takes over a
minute, what's up?
When this happens I have the /etc/resolv.conf as:
domain        torpedogames.com
nameserver 10.0.0.101

If I rem out the nameserver line or put an invalid IP address in then it
connects and displays the login prompt immediately however the DNS no
longer works.  What can I do to fix this?  What's really causing this?

Also, another question.  What do I have to edit so I can login as root
via telnet?  As a temporary fix I added another user to the wheel group
in /etc/group then su to root after logging on as the user but I assume
there has to be a better way.  I've looked around in the
/etc/login.access but couldn't get anywhere.

Thanks,
73s

--
Timothy Toroni