Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 21:41:38 -0600
From:      Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Drive not found

I am doing a floppy install of FreeBSD on a 486 DX2 66 computer.
I have one Western Digital Cavier 2340 hard drive, a 3½" and 5¼"
floppy drive, a Stealth Diamond 64 VLB 2 meg video card and a
generic Hayes compatible 14.4k modem.

The HD Controller is built in on the motherboard and MSD says
it using IRQ14. Okay, cool I start the install from floppy disk and
get the the Kernel Configuration menu. I choose visual mode.
Since I have no SCSI drives I deactivate everything except the
floppy disk controller on IRQ6 and the IDE/ESDI/MFM disk
controller on IRQ14. I deactivate all network cards and the
MS Bus Mouse. I then press Q and Y to save the settings.
A few things are displayed on the screen but then disappear
to fast for me to see what got found. Anyway, I make it to the
Welcome to FreeBSD [2.2.5-Release] menu. I then choose
Begin a Novice installation. But two screens later I am
presented with the following message:

Drives not found. Please verify that your disk controller is being
properly probed at boot time...

Since the screen scrolls by too fast, is there a way I can
pause to see what exactly it is finding? Any other ideas?