Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:46:32 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Christopher Sedore <cmsedore@maxwell.syr.edu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: clustering/load balancing

Christopher Sedore wrote:

> OK, so I've worked some more on the IP clustering/load balancing stuff.
> I've hacked together a clustering daemon, and reworked the way that the
> kernel stuff is handled (it uses a flag and ipfw rules to do its thing).

rather cool but how about the following setup running with no mods
at all..

                                +-------[Machine B]

[internet]-----[ Machine A]-----+-------[Machine C]

                                +-------[Machine D]

Machine A's internet port is on ed0
firewall rules:

on Machine A:
ipfw add 100 fwd B tcp from 0.1.0.0:0.3.0.0 to A 80 in recv ed0
ipfw add 100 fwd C tcp from 0.2.0.0:0.3.0.0 to A 80 in recv ed0
ipfw add 100 fwd D tcp from 0.3.0.0:0.3.0.0 to A 80 in recv ed0

on machine B:
ipfw add 100 fwd localhost tcp from any to A 80 in recv ed0
on machine C:
ipfw add 100 fwd localhost tcp from any to A 80 in recv ed0
on machine D:
ipfw add 100 fwd localhost tcp from any to A 80 in recv ed0

This shared the load among all 4 machines A, B, C, and D
depending on the two bottom bits of the 2nd byte of the source address.

I haven't tried this but I think it SHOULD work..
(of course you could use a 5th machine as the load sharer)

what do you think?

julian