Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 22:40:09 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        dss-gmbh@t-online.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: COBOL compiler with FreeBSD

> Actually, I have to admit to a certain fondness for the idea of
> having a COBOL compiler available, if for no other reason than to
> support the massive amount of legacy code out there, and for the
> ability to have verifiability, even if it means that the language
> limits the complexity of the algorithms you can encode in it.

There is actually a GNU FORTRAN compiler for similar reasons, though I
think it's still only in beta (the guy who's writing it started work
on in something like 1988!). In a way, it's a shame they didn't get
round to doing one for COBOL.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk