Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:15:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian H." <adrianh@worldnet.att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Audio config issues with v3.2-Release

Hi all :)

I seem to be having quite a rough time getting my audio card configured.
It's a SoundBlaster16 compatible board, and I seem to have all of the
requisite drivers compiled (controller snd0, devices sb0, sbxvi0,
and sbmidi0). All of these devices are recognized at startup except for
sbmidi0.  In addition, nothing on my system is recognized by the "pnpinfo"
command.

After booting up the newly configured kernel I attempt to issue an
"sh MAKEDEV snd0" command in the appropriate directory (/dev), but when
I subsequently try to find it, it doesn't show up at all in that directory
(nor elsewhere, I would assume). Not surprisingly, trying to create a snd1
device has the same non-effect. I've also tried basically every driver
listed in the LINT config, including the pcm code.

If I try to open a CD player app, like xcdplayer, from an xterm I get a
constant message stating: "Open: Device not configured". This occurs in
both root and user sessions.  The text-only cdplay program has the
similar problem of not being able to recognize (initialise) the CD.

As far as the CD drive is concerned, I seem to have the appropriate
"acd0", etc., devices compiled and enabled in /dev. I can successfully
mount and read data CDs. The above problems occur regardless of whether or
not the proprietary CD drivers (i.e., matsushita, sanyo) are present.

If anyone knows of a potential solution, or can point me in the right
direction, I would be really grateful.  I have read all of the relevant
documentation.

Thanks for reading my long message!

Adrian Henke

	"Drunkenness we have already forbidden. A Guardian is surely
the last person to be allowed to get drunk and not know where he is.
	Yes, it would be absurd that a Guardian should need to be
guarded."
		-Plato's Republic, translation F.M. Cornford