Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:38:36 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Handling tarballs with no version

Glenn Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 11:08:21PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>
> > Glenn Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > I have a port that I maintain that does not use a version number in
> > > the tar file.  If I update the port and bump either the PORTVERSION
> > > or PORTREVISION variable, then users who have the port installed
> > > will get a CHECKSUM mismatch when doing an upgrade.  How can I
> > > force the update of the distfile when one installs the port?  I was
> > > thinking that running the distclean target prior to fetch would work
> > > but what is the cleanest way to implement that?
> >
> > Contact original author of software and ask him/her to assign some
> > meaningful version number to the tarball in question. All other
> > options suck badly.
>
> I did contact him a while back and he gave me some reason for wanting to
> do it the way he does so that is a dead end.  I guess it will just have
> to be up to the user to handle it when the checksum mismatch occurs.

Alternatively, copy it to your own http/ftp space, append some timestamp,
and update from time to time distfile and appropriate port. This way you
will ensure that the user will get distfile that in sync with current port.
If you don't have a permanent http/ftp space you can ask any of the
committers out there to put the distfile at MASTER_SITE_LOCAL.

-Maxim