Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:43:44 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        Isaac Waldron <isaacguy@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hostname setup for local machine.

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 04:15:23PM -0800, Isaac Waldron wrote:

> What is the correct method for setting up the hostname for a machine
> that has no official name?  I have a dial-up ISP account that does not
> allow me a real domain name.  That is, I have no official information
> to put into the hostname variable in /etc/rc.conf.  Should I just make
> something up, and tack the domain of my ISP on the end, or is there a
> protocol I need to follow for this kind of thing?

As far as I know you should be able to use whatever name you want. When
you are connected to your ISP, you will be assigned a host name on your
ISP's network. However, sendmail will use whatever you do assign and use
that in the "from" header so you will need to masquerade your address to
your "official" mail address. That goes in /etc/sendmail.cf though not
your /etc/rc.conf. Look for the following lines in /etc/sendmail.cf:

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DMmailhost.isp.net

add the host part of your mail address right after the DM. You will need
to restart sendmail for this to take effect. Of course if you are not
going to be using sendmail or a sendmail replacement then you do not
have to worry about this.

--
Glenn Johnson
Technician