Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 22:48:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith)
Cc:        drosih@rpi.edu (Garance A Drosihn), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), drony@spray.se, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HLT

> > >I think the real question is why, under normal operating
> > >conditions, should overheating be a problem for you?
> >
> > While that is a good question, there's another question
> > that comes to my mind.  If my dual-processor system will
> > have close-to-nothing to do all night while I'm out of
> > the office, then why should I have both CPU's running
> > at full-bore?  What is the advantage of burning up the
> > extra electricity and generating the extra heat, when
> > there's going to be nothing to do for several hours?
>
> It's not that there's no advantage; until ACPI is working properly there
> is no *alternative*.

Someone should educate people on:

1)	The amount of energy it takes, in excess of what it
	takes for a normal appliance, to manufacture an
	"energy star" appliance.

	NB: It actually takes more additional energy to
	manufacture one, than is saved over the expected
	lifetime of the HW, but manufactures generally pay
	significantly less per KWH than you do, so front
	net economic win for consumers (even if it's a net
	economic loss for the environment).

2)	Compared to what idle-looping CPUs consume, I guess
	not everyone is aware of what fans, electromechanical
	devices that they are, actually consume, either?  It's
	only recently that we have multispeed fans, and fans
	that shut themselves down, based on input from the
	output of thermisters.

	NB: Compare the expected battery life on laptops that
	have comparable speed processors, where one implements
	with a heatsink, and the other implements with a fan.

I know it's politically correct and all, but like plastic
grocery bags that get recycled into bus benches vs. paper sacks
which don't biodegrade (ever) in landfills for lack of exposure
to sun, water, and air to feed the necessary aerobic organisms,
false environmentalism is pretty rampant these days (assuming
that it's false environmentalism, not false economy, which
resulted in the statement about HLTed CPU vs. non-HLTed CPU
power consumption).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---