Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:54:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Sean Broestl <broestls@holly.ColoState.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound config problems with OPTi MAD16

Hey everyone,

I've just about given up on this problem and about to go out and buy a
nice pci soundcard of some sort. Still, I'd like to see if it is possible
to get this working properly at all.

Card info:
OPTi 82C929 printed on the board
another chip refers to it as AD1845 chip

cat /dev/sndstat reports it as
pcm0: <AD1845> at io 0x530 irq 10 drq 1 (1p/1r channels)

System info:
FreeBSD 4.3 RELEASE
CPU: 400Mhz K6-3
64Mb of RAM

while this all seems to work properly, I can't get any mp3 audio out of
the thing. xmms doesn't do anything when I try to play a track, same with
mpg123. I read /usr/src/i386/isa/sound/sound.doc, and it mentions adding

options OPTI_MAD16_PORT

to my kernel config. When I try to compile the kernel though config
reports that this is not a valid option. Did this setting have a name
change or something?

Thanks,

-Sean
http://www.counterstricken.org