Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:53:08 +0200
From:      Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
To:        Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster goes postal

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 at 15:04:06 -0700, Mikko Tyolajarvi wrote:
> In local.freebsd.stable you write:
> >WTF does CPUTYPE have to do with a shell script?
>=20
> It looks like bug #24443, which depends on the content of the current
> stack frame.  Thus small changes in input or compiler options may
> change the symptoms, or make the bug "go away".
>=20
> PR 24443 was recently fixed and committed to stable.  It looks like it
> also fixes my -STABLE system (at least rebuilding /bin/sh with the
> patch makes MAKEDEV behave again).
>=20
> Now, all that is missing is some clueful scrutiny by a committer,
> followed by an MFC :^)

Just thought i'd add that the patch described in PR 24443 works here
too.

Just in case anyone's remotely interested, the symptoms here where:

CPUTYPE=3Di686:	breaks
CPUTYPE=3Dk7:	works
no CPUTYPE=3D:	works

After the patch:

CPUTYPE=3Di686:	works
CPUTYPE=3Dk7:	works
no CPUTYPE=3D:	not tested

The error message from MAKEDEV all was:
| MAKEDEV: arith: syntax error: =E0=85=1C=86=C8=85=E0=85=E9=85=EB=85=EE=85=
=1C=86"
|=20
| bad node: mknod i4bteld1

--=20