Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 23:47:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        BMCGROARTY@high-voltage.com, jooji@webnology.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Authors notes for FreeBSD books

I've changed the subject to be more accurate.  I was going to call
it "Jordan's call for FreeBSD books", but I find the current
subject line more fitting.

Jordan Hubbard writes:

> I think that there are already so many more obvious and clearly
> detrimental shortcomings in FreeBSD's advocacy (lack of books,
> magazines, trade shows and other press coverage) that anyone looking
> at the mascot as an "issue" is a) barking up the wrong tree and
> b) focusing their time and energy in the wrong direction.

Jordan, I would like to address, in depth, the "books issue" you have
raised.

I would be more than happy to write a FreeBSD book (or two) *IFF* it
would settle down from its moving target status long enough for there
to be sufficient sales.  For an internals book, this would mean:

1)	Define standard interfaces in the kernel.

2)	Commit to them for a (relatively) long time (e.g. 1.5 years,
	otherwise known as 3 full FreeBSD releases).

The same goes for a "writing device drivers" book, or even something
describing how to do any API-intensive user space work, using FreeBSD
as a platform.

The people who have never done a technical edit on a book, edited a
book, or written a book (in increasing order of difficulty), seem
to assume that books "just pop out".  They don't.  If they did, I
have several requests currently outstanding from publishing
companies that I would be able to accept, e.g. a book on configuring
an IPv6 network (shame that couldn't also be a FreeBSD book, since
I would find it more tempting to accept the offer, but FreeBSD is
not sufficiently married to a particular IPv6 to allow this).

I have done technical editing for Prentice Hall on several books,
(you may have seen me specifically credited in the preface of one
of them, "UNIX Internals: the new frontiers" by Vahalia) and even
that light load was over three weeks (~130 hours) of work.

I have eleven books in progress (none FreeBSD), and I have actually
completed four books: two fiction (both looking for a non-vanity
publisher), one technical about writing applications to use serial
ports portably across many UNIX platforms (obsoleted before
publication by the SVR4 convergence), and one technical about
programming -- "C for Race Car Drivers" -- which was obsoleted
while pending publication (it had been scheduled) by compiler
technology removing the need to write C in certain ways to get
faster and smaller executables (bad timing for the PC compiler
war: another reason to hate Microsoft).

I'm not willing to take on a book (again) that will be obsolete
before its publication, and thus my works in progress are all
either fiction (four), or topics which won't be easily obsoleted.

Right now, that translates to "nothing with any technical depth
for FreeBSD in the near future, unless the ground rules change".

What it takes to write a book:

For it to be worthwhile for an author to engage in a book project,
the project has to have an expected pay-out of at least one year's
salary (and my salary is much higher than it was when I wrote the
previous two), preferrably more, since writing is more draining,
at least for me, than other work, and after a year of it, I would
need a very long vacation.

I think that anyone (who isn't naieve, or isn't writing a puff-piece
to "compete" with the litter of Linux puff-pieces) will require some
type of warrant that the target won't move, and make the book lose
all value for the work invested.  Even a typical puff-piece faces a
currently uncertain future, e.g. with the threat of "The New Install
System, Real Soon Now", and so on.

On the plus side, a puff-piece can be done in ~6 man months, but
this still makes it one release out of date, unless you hold it and
reedit it very quickly following the release.  A publisher is
unlikely to agree to this without a hard/fast FreeBSD release date,
since they need to schedule presses, channel identification, shipping,
and any publicity, to coincide with a book held in abeyance for a
final edit.

The only way I can see where this would not be the case would be
for a book that was a collaborative effort, to shorten the time to
market to avoid the book getting stale.

In general, collaborative efforts can't be too technical, and the
overall editing pass to fix the tone of a multi-author book to
a single tone (an irritating read will get terrible reviews) still
must be done by a single person, and that can't be parallelized
away (minimum, 160 hours: ~4 weeks).

For a technical collaborative work, you will need ~120 hours of
technical editing by at least three different people (more is
better), and double the editing pass (a brief one before the
technical edits are applied, a longer one, with reference to the
authors, afterward, to integrate the various authors fixes).

Note: collaborative works generally require the same (or a higher,
given editing overhead) expected payout as individual works, and
this means that you can only modify the time-to-market requirement,
but the shelf-life requirement (time to obsolescence) can not be
bypassed.

Also, as a heads up: having many Linux distributions is actually
a plus, both for the available fodder for puff-pieces, and for
packing a CDROM in the plastic envelope in the back of the book.

An author can rewrite the same book four (or more) times, under
different pen names, choosing a different Linux each time, and
reorganising, retitling, and reindexing chapters (I know of at
least three Linux books that were produced from a single original
manuscript using this formula; I've considered writing a Linux
puff-piece to cash in, myself).  Sort of the "Harlequin Romance"
approach to technical writing...

Too, you might consider getting rough translation of the Japanese
FreeBSD books, in conjunction with an English editor, as one way
to attack this problem.  The downside to this is the fee split
with the original author takes most of the incentive away for the
translators and editor, and the international publication rights
licensing issues can be thorny.  Jordan is actually in the best
position of anyone to exercise on this approach.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.