Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2010 15:05:56 -0400
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dynamically generating install.cfg

Hello all,

  I would like to dynamically generate various settings that will be
placed into the install.cfg file before sysinstall executes.  I am PXE
booting and have a mfsroot that contains a install.cfg with variables
that will be applicable to all installs.  Inside the mfsroot is a
script that is supposed to download, via anon-ftp, a file that
contains other variables which are set on per host basis.

  Inside the script, I run ifconfig to setup the interface then
immediately run ftp to download the file from the PXE server.  As soon
as it gets the file, ifconfig runs and takes the interface down.
During the install, the debug screen shows no errors when running
ifconfig, yet when the script attempts to ftp to the PXE server, it
gets a 'network unreachable'.  As a result of this, I tried setting up
the route as well, using route add default $gateway and get the same
error.  Running tcpdump on the PXE server confirms that there is not
ftp attempt from the client.

  I am wondering if anyone has tried anything similar and had luck
with it or if anyone might be able to provide direction in how I can
troubleshoot.  I'm not even sure if the interface is being setup
properly.  At the point where this fails, there is no holographic
shell for me to get into and poke around.  Thoughts?  Ideas?

--
Take care
Rick Miller