Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:42:57 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        michael johnson <ahze@ahze.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dmesg and error logs.

michael johnson wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2004, at 8:00 PM, Joshua Lewis wrote:
>
>> I am trying to troubleshoot an e-mail issue and was wondering if anyone
>> can give me some info on errors and where to find them. Specifically:
>>
>> What log file does dmesg read from
>

> /var/run/dmesg.boot is what it reads from
>
> /var/log/dmesg.* will also have info
>
>> Will dmesg give me any DNS errors or Postfix errors?
>

> Depends on what the error is.
>
>> If not what error log should I be looking at?
>

> /var/log/maillog will have the info you probably need =)
>
> Cheers,
>  Michael

And, if it's so serious that the MTA isn't running, you might
find something in /var/log/messages; or, written to the console.

If you are running the box "headless" or from a remote
location, it might be good to take a look at the note in
/etc/syslog.conf regarding the writing of console output
to a file (it's in a comment somewhere in there....)

HTH2,

Kevin Kinsey