Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 16:31:06 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs), michaelh@cet.co.jp, joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de, sysop@mixcom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VFAT 32 support in msdosfs

>> >fooBarW(wchar_t	*pwstr)
>> >{
>> >	translate string to ANSI
>> >	fooBar( pstr);
>> >}
>>
>> This is a broken implementation as it converts to ANSI on an NT system.
>
>You "#ifndef NT" it so it only happens on Win95.

Now I have to ship and test two different binaries.  This also rules out
server based installations. Bzzt!  Wrong answer.

>> But you're not a Fortune 500 company that doesn't want to retrain
>> umpteen thousand employees to use a new application.
>
>No, I'm an application vendor who wants to sell a new application, so I
>have to encourage the training hit one way or another to make any money.

Then you wouldn't be Microsoft in this case and Microsoft was the company
we were talking about.  Microsoft chose backwards compatibility to get
it's OS in the door knowing full well that it's apps would follow in
time.

Anyway this conversation is pointless.  This is the last you'll hear
from me about it.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations